Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: self defense classes  (Read 4161 times)

luiz_iniciante

self defense classes
« on: February 01, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »

This being the land of kung-fu, I should think it would be quite easy to find classes on basic self defence. I'm not interested in becoming an shoalin temple style monk, but I would like some tips on how to protect oneself in the unlikely event of a violent confrontation. Does anyone know of classes open to males and females?

Speaking generally, I find life in Hefei to be safe and pleasant. But even here, I have been on the recieving end of behavior that went beyond the usual teasing a foreigner quickly gets accustomed to and was downright provocative. The culprits are usually small groups of boys/young men who would probably be too cowardly to act individually. I am sure we all know stories of young, local women being slyly cursed and insulted in public for doing no more than being in the company of their foreign work colleagues. My experience is that if you ignore this behavior it generally goes away. If you react, though, you are really taking you chances and the odds will probably be against you. My own compromise is that I don't hold my girlfriend's hand in public when too far outside my campus, simply to reduce any potential for harrassment.

Although most societies will have, to more or less extent, a controlling/protective/posessive attitude towards their women, I find it in China (outside of the major cities) to be stronger than in any other country I have ever lived in. To bring this back to my original question, what happens when you're on the road, away from your network in Hefei, and some bully won't on any account stand down. I think you should at least have one or two moves. 

luiz_iniciante

Re: self defense classes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

Can you say more about these incidents involving your wife? Did the occur during the day or night? And in which part of town? Were these thieves likely to be armed and do they appear to target foreigners or women in particular?

I think it might be useful to know what parts of town are safe.

luiz_iniciante

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:46 PM »

I have heard locals blame 新疆人for the pickpocketing before, but I had always just assumed it was a prejudice. Is there really any basis to it?

luiz_iniciante

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »

Beyond the actual insult, what pisses me off is the knowledge that if the situation were reversed (i.e. that they were walking with their girlfriend down a busy street in Rio) they would be completely undisturbed. And that they would expect to be undisturbed and would otherwise be completely outraged. In other words, they want it both ways: to be allowed to be unpleasant on their home turf, but to be well-treated on the turf of others. 

This is distantly related to something else I have occasionally observed while prowling the restless streets of Hefei at night. To wit, that the men can be quite heavy handed with their wives/girlfriends in public in a way that would be considered bullying, cowardly and totally unacceptable in a place like Brasil.

While these sorts of people are a tiny minority in an overall helpful, kind and friendly populace, their presence can be quite depressing to the visitor, who must occassionally ask himself how much more of their crap he is going to take and probably sees the same question in the eyes of his wife. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up