Hefei Expat - China
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 25, 2017, 05:12:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

What, When and Where in Hefei?

An on-line directory for things to do "in Hefei".
Please add to sections to improve this function.
4842 Posts in 1229 Topics by 4560 Members
Latest Member: Catherin
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
A global portal to the English speaking community - Search for key words - Post a question or response - When in Hefei, stay up to date with the latest, get the HefeiConnect mobile APP
CISH
+  Hefei Expat - China
|-+  Living Here
| |-+  Careers and Jobs
| | |-+  School Reviews
| | | |-+  International Schools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: International Schools  (Read 45409 times)
TSS

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2014, 01:26:43 PM »

Although I live in Perth Western Australia, I want my children to be able to come to Hefei to stay (on and off) and get engaged in an kindergarten so they can master Mandarin and other skills while they are still young. When they reach year 1 primary then I'll see where I am with my life, and see if they will then do their schooling in Perth or whether they continue in Hefei.

I am currently based in Perth and the foreseeable future looks like I will continue to live in Perth with my wife while visiting Hefei as often as possible.

x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »

The only international school is http://www.cish.com.cn/index.php?s=/Index/index/lan/E

I would expect to pay a ridiculous amount of money though. I know for high schools the tuition is above 80,000rMB/Yr
MeiYouPengYou
Standing Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »

Although I live in Perth Western Australia, I want my children to be able to come to Hefei to stay (on and off) and get engaged in an kindergarten so they can master Mandarin and other skills while they are still young. When they reach year 1 primary then I'll see where I am with my life, and see if they will then do their schooling in Perth or whether they continue in Hefei.

I am currently based in Perth and the foreseeable future looks like I will continue to live in Perth with my wife while visiting Hefei as often as possible.

Why are you guys travelling back and forth to Hefei?

A new hope with regards to life's feast.
TSS

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Right now I am based in Perth. I am from Perth. My wife is from Hefei. We live in Perth as I work there and she studied and now works in Perth.

We travel to Hefei as often as possible as she is from Hefei and have family there.

We are currently holidaying in Hefei until mid January.

I want my future children to do kindergarten in Hefei on and off. Probably six months Hefei and six months Perth do my future children can learn n appreciate Chinese language and culture.

Beyond that time when they start Primary school who knows? I could move to Hefei or maybe remain in Perth. Remaining in Perth is most likely the option we'll take.

I call Hefei home as my wife is from Hefei. I love it here in Hefei. Thank god for this forum.

x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 07:50:52 PM »

What nationality are your kids?

I think the best option would be some kind of Chinese Kindergarten.

Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of international schools in Hefei. I would either send my kid to Chinese Public School or move them back to U.S for school.
computer_says_no
Standing Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »

The standard of both government and private kindergartens here varies widely. A small number have a good reputation and staff, but others have very lax standards and are basically child-minding services. These is no consistency in the quality of early childhood education here and it takes some local knowledge to weed out the good from the bad. Price of fees is not a good indication either. Also, some government kindergartens only accept kids who live within close proximity of the kindergarten.   

x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »

The standard of both government and private kindergartens here varies widely. A small number have a good reputation and staff, but others have very lax standards and are basically child-minding services. These is no consistency in the quality of early childhood education here and it takes some local knowledge to weed out the good from the bad. Price of fees is not a good indication either. Also, some government kindergartens only accept kids who live within close proximity of the kindergarten.   

I don't think this would be a problem for TSS since his wife is a Hefei local.

I'm wondering how the nationality of the children affects the selection of kindergartens. Specifically, if the children don't have Hukou how (if at all) does it limit their educational chances in China? This I'm not clear about. 
computer_says_no
Standing Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »

Even if your wife is a local, it's still not easy getting your kids into the best kindergartens. There are waiting lists and you usually need guangxi. (I asked my wife, who is a kindergarten principal). With foreign children (where both parents are foreigners), it really comes down to calling around negotiating something with the individual kindergarten principal and owner. You'll find a few that are willing to accept foreign kids but a lot won't, esp. the government ones. Except perhaps for CISH, none will have any special training to handle early education of international kids. If one parent is Chinese, kindergartens are more open to accepting the children. Hukou isn't anything that can't be worked around through negotiation with the kindergarten.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:39:50 AM by humdinger » Logged
TSS

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »

I see. Thanks for the information.

My wife is a PR of Australia, a Chinese citizen.
I am a citizen of Australia.

I think my future child will be born in Australia since we live n work in Perth.

We travel to Hefei as often as possible (at least once a year) to visit my wife's family.

When my future child is born I assume he/she would automatically get Australian citizenship as he/she would most likely be born in Perth and its father (me) is an Australian citizen.

Will my future son/daughter get Chinese citizenship as well because of his/her mother (my wife) being a Chinese citizen?

I think its easier to do anything in china if you're classified as a Chinese citizen. Just the same it's easier to do anything in Australia if you are a PR or citizen of Australia.

I hope my child can do kindergarten in China so he/she can quickly learn the language and culture before primary school. I think at primary school age my child will do education in Australia.

While in China my child will stay with his/her grandparents (my wife's parents). I won't be staying in Hefei with my child and neither will my wife as we got jobs in Perth (which are the  source of income for us).

It just probably depends if they see my future child as a Chinese or Australian. I could register my child with the Chinese authorities to ensure my child is recognized as a Chinese.

It's a very foreign event for myself, my wife, and her family. Never before have we been down tho path. Whatever I learn n experience with this in the coming years I'll be sure to document it so people in the future can have a reference point.
x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:54 AM »

Will my future son/daughter get Chinese citizenship as well because of his/her mother (my wife) being a Chinese citizen?

No. This is because your wife is a Permanent Resident of Australia. The only way your child could be a Chinese citizen is if they were born in China, as long as your wife does not become an Australian Citizen.

However, under the Nationality Law it is still possible for a person to have dual nationality of China and another country at birth in some circumstances.

For example:

If they were born in China, to one Chinese-national parent, they are a Chinese national at birth (Article 4). If their other parent is a non-Chinese-national, they may acquire another nationality at birth by jus sanguinis from that parent.

If they were born outside China, to one or two Chinese-national parents who have not settled abroad, they are a Chinese national at birth (Article 5). They may acquire another nationality at birth by jus soli if they were born in a jus soli country, and/or they may acquire another nationality from their other parent (if only one parent was a Chinese national) by jus sanguinis.

However, one does not have Chinese nationality if their parents (with Chinese nationality) themselves settle permanently outside China. This means in general, most second generation overseas Chinese ("ABC" or "BBC") and most South East Asian nationals with Chinese ethnicity are not Chinese nationals.

From all of my research, the best option would be to have your child born in China. This would ensure them Chinese Citizenship and Australian Citizenship at birth. They would technically have dual citizenship until they become an adult which at that time they should be old enough to make a decision regarding which Citizenship they want to keep.

Trust me, I've done a ton of research on this topic as my wife and I are planning on having a child soon as well. We've decided to have our child born in China for the reasons mentioned above. They are guaranteed U.S and Chinese Citizenship at birth. They will be forced to choose later, but I figure that's something my kid can decide for him/herself. I don't want to force my kid into a corner.

It just probably depends if they see my future child as a Chinese or Australian. I could register my child with the Chinese authorities to ensure my child is recognized as a Chinese.

If you plan on having your child born in China, make sure you have a Chinese marriage certificate before your wife becomes pregnant. This allows you to register the birth with the proper authorities and guarantee Hokou for you children.

If your Child is born in Australia, the Chinese government will recognize them as Australian Citizens and you cannot register them as Chinese Citizens or anything of the like. To the Chinese Gov. they are foreigners.

Summary: If your kid is born in Australia, they are not Chinese and will never be Chinese. If your kid is born in China they have the option of being Chinese or Australian.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:54:35 AM by x0vash0x » Logged
TSS

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

If my wife gets pregnant in Australia but gives birth in China is that child then considered a Chinese Citizen?

I would then want my child to have dual citizenship. If he/she gets Australian citizenship will the Chinese government revoke (remove) his/her Chinese citizenship?

It sounds like a good plan to get my child dual citizenship until he is 18 and forced to make a decision either way.

To have the best of both worlds when having a childhood would be good I think. I assume China has no mandatory military service for the youth? Australia doesn't and I wouldn't want to subject him/her to that either.
x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 03:03:57 PM »

If my wife gets pregnant in Australia but gives birth in China is that child then considered a Chinese Citizen?

I think by the letter of the law, they would be. However, I'm not sure how they Hukou would work of it they would be eligible.

I'm not sure of the requirements for Hukou. My wife says that we must take our marriage certificate to the local community office once a doctor confirms she is pregnant in order to make sure our child has Hefei Hukou. This is what her parents told her though. I'm not sure of the exact requirements.

After some research I found this:

Hukou registration is the only symbol that BR has been carried out and completed, and Hukou registration is one of the most important components of the household management system in China. A child cannot acquire most of his or her rights without Hukou registration. The references that need to be provided when applying for BR include a medical birth certificate (MBC) issued by the Public Health (PH) department, a birth certificate (BC) issued by the Population and Family Planning (PFP) department, and the parents’ Hukou booklets or identity cards issued by Public Security (PS) departments.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990197/

So, it appears that as long as the kid is born in China, they would be eligible for Hukou and would be a Chinese Citizen. It doesn't appear to matter where the conception actually took place.
lcba

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »

I will be moving to Hefei in a couple of months and would like to know about International Schools offering elementary education. I have heard about the Canadian International School, but I am wondering if there are others. I would appreciate receiving links to the schools websites, evaluations, opinions, etc. Thank you.
Aussie Mike
+86 138 667 39353
Administrator
Long Term Member

Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »

The Canadian school is currently the only official International school although others are in the pipeline.

Ventures and Partners
x0vash0x
Long Term Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »

The Canadian school is currently the only official International school although others are in the pipeline.

That's not quite true. It's the only K-12 International School, but it's not the only official one. No. 6, No. 8, No. 1, plus Ru'An, and the Canadian School all are international programs, just not K-12.

The Canadian School is the only one that offers Elementary Education. There will be a new K-12 American Program in a few years.
Hefei Expat - China

Left Side
Centre Panel
Centre Panel
Right side
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Connections
Connections

Reopening Soon

JinLiang Xiang, LaoBaoGuan
SanXiaoKou, Hefei

Great Pizza

Sliced Pizza

International and
Special Local Beers

Asahi on tap

Coffee and Chat

Get together for a coffee and chat
Specially Blended and Roasted in Hefei
for Coffee Lovers

Connections WeChat QR
Scan the toast to connect with WeChat

Like Connections QR Code

Scan the code or click
to "Like Us" on FaceBook

If you have tried my pizza and liked it, Please consider writing a review on TripAdvisor

Bozhou China       Study TCM in China       Expat-English.com