Hefei Expat - China

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HFConnect
The Events, News and Sports APP for visitors in Hefei.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid inquiry should be UK-wide, says Welsh secretary  (Read 122 times)

geemong

• View Profile
    • Email
Covid inquiry should be UK-wide, says Welsh secretary
« on: March 26, 2021, 03:39:48 AM »

Covid inquiry should be UK-wide, says Welsh secretary

A public inquiry into slotxo the handling of the Covid pandemic should be "a UK-wide analysis" with the ability to examine
devolved governments' decision making, Welsh secretary Simon Hart has said.

In contrast Tory Senedd group leader Andrew RT Davies wants a Wales specific inquiry in addition to a UK one.

Mr Davies accused Labour First Minister Mark Drakeford of "running away from responsibility" on the matter.

Mr Drakeford backed a UK inquiry able to probe Welsh government decisions.

Last week, Mr Drakeford said a public inquiry "needs to be at the point when we can be confident that the pandemic
is behind us".

"And then it needs to be an inquiry that is not simply Welsh, because so much of what has happened to us in Wales
has been linked to the wider UK picture."

But he said a UK wide-inquiry "will, absolutely properly, look at the decision making of the Welsh government as well."

Responding to those comments, Mr Davies said: "I'm clear there should be a UK-wide inquiry and a Wales-specific inquiry.
Welsh Conservatives would implement one after May's election so we can learn vital lessons moving forward,
help save lives, and protect livelihoods.

"You have to wonder just what the Labour Party is running away from. I can sum it up in a word: responsibility."

But when he was asked for his views on the matter on Wednesday, the Welsh secretary said: "My inclination is that Covid
has posed a UK-wide problem and therefore our objective analysis of it should be UK-wide."
Pages: [1]   Go Up