Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Advice: Obtaining a Police Check(Certificate of No Criminal Conviction)  (Read 1506 times)

RPM1988

• View Profile
    • Email

Hi,

I was living in Hefei from November 2010 until mid-October 2012, and for my current destination, I need to produce a police check for everywhere I've lived in the past 5 years. Naturally, getting the Australian one for Oct 2012-now was easy, but naturally I also have to get one from Hefei PSB and get it notarised, which I'm looking to do early Feb next year.

So my questions are:

- how long does the process take?
- what documents would I need? Passport, previous residence permits & Z visa - anything else?
- how much does the process cost?

I had tried to email John Wang from DeHeng Law a few days back based on advice from a former colleague, but I've heard nothing whatsoever, so I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered the same situation.

Cheers!

Ryan

computer_says_no

• Standing Member
    • View Profile

I obtained one in March this year from Hefei PSB and got it notarized in Hefei.

Basically the PSB type up a form letter from their computer, chop it and give to you immediately. Didn't cost anything. However, because you're now overseas you'll need someone to deal with it on your behalf, and John Wang is a good person to contact. You need to show your passport containing Resident Permit and work permits etc. These folks are a respectable law firm too:
http://www.lehmanlaw.com/resource-centre/faqs/immigration/chinas-certificate-of-non-criminal-convictions.html

The PSB issued me with a letter. However, when I took it to get notarized, the Public Notary did not simply translate and notarize this original letter. They kept the original letter from the PSB and used their own standard letter, which is in English and Chinese and has their chop, not the PSB's. (Fee for this service). This is definitely an official government verification of no criminal record, but it might not be accepted by whoever wants it in Australia because it doesn't come from a police authority. Therefore, you might want to request TWO copies of the letter issued by the PSB--one to get notarized and the other for you to have on hand alongside the notarial Certificate of No Criminal Record.

I also suggest that anyone leaving China for good obtain this certificate before they leave,whether you need it or not. Chances are you will need it sometime in the future.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 03:59:59 AM by computer_says_no »

RPM1988

• View Profile
    • Email

I obtained one in March this year from Hefei PSB and got it notarized in Hefei.

Basically the PSB type up a form letter from their computer, chop it and give to you immediately. Didn't cost anything. However, because you're now overseas you'll need someone to deal with it on your behalf, and John Wang is a good person to contact. You need to show your passport containing Resident Permit and work permits etc. These folks are a respectable law firm too:
http://www.lehmanlaw.com/resource-centre/faqs/immigration/chinas-certificate-of-non-criminal-convictions.html

The PSB issued me with a letter. However, when I took it to get notarized, the Public Notary did not simply translate and notarize this original letter. They kept the original letter from the PSB and used their own standard letter, which is in English and Chinese and has their chop, not the PSB's. (Fee for this service). This is definitely an official government verification of no criminal record, but it might not be accepted by whoever wants it in Australia because it doesn't come from a police authority. Therefore, you might want to request TWO copies of the letter issued by the PSB--one to get notarized and the other for you to have on hand alongside the notarial Certificate of No Criminal Record.

I also suggest that anyone leaving China for good obtain this certificate before they leave,whether you need it or not. Chances are you will need it sometime in the future.

Hey Computer_says_no,

Thanks for that info! I will be returning in early February to do it in-person, but was worried about the turn-around time (I'd heard times ranging from same-day to 3 weeks). As mentioned, I emailed John Wang a few days ago and have yet to hear anything from him or the firm, which I'm hoping will respond in the near future.

I do agree with you about getting the certificate pre-departure - having been in this situation (almost 5 years on) I'll have my bases covered after I get it, but didn't know I'd need it before I left (still, who can predict the future, right?).
Pages: [1]   Go Up