Hefei Expat - China

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HFConnect
The Events, News and Sports APP for visitors in Hefei.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I like to swim or I like swimming  (Read 10204 times)

rgeczi

• Long Term Member
    • MSN Messenger - rgeczi888@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gsigroup88@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Teaching Foreign Languages Abroad Association
    • Email
I like to swim or I like swimming
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:49 AM »

Here is a question for all my fellow English speaking friends, when asking students to introduce themselves as well as two of the things they like to do for fun, do you tell them to say "I like to swim" or "I like swimming"? 

I know gerunds and infinitives are interchangeable in many instances, but for this situation, I tell my kids to say I like to swim.  It sounds better, especially since they are telling the class of two things they like doing, rather than just one.  Them saying "I like swimming and playing computer games doesn't sound as good as I like to swim, and play computer games, at least in my eyes.  I mostly reserve +ing stuff for when I ask them in the moment, what are you doing? and they reply, I'm dancing, singing, etc.

Thoughts?
tflaa.com - Site for teachers AND getmeajob.biz

rgeczi

• Long Term Member
    • MSN Messenger - rgeczi888@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - gsigroup88@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Teaching Foreign Languages Abroad Association
    • Email
Re: I like to swim or I like swimming
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 10:13:28 PM »

Kim, thanks for the reply.

The way the kids will use this is when they introduce themselves, for example, "Hello.  My name is _________.  I am _ years old.  I'm a boy/girl.  I like to __________ and _____________.  I told my wife that in this scenario, going the infinitive route sounds better.

BTW, whilst must be an Aussie thing.  :P  In Canada, I don't think we were ever taught to use whilst in a sentence, but I must say, it does sound good the way you use it.
tflaa.com - Site for teachers AND getmeajob.biz
Pages: [1]   Go Up