Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shots to take before going to china?  (Read 5037 times)

mario

shots to take before going to china?
« on: May 19, 2014, 12:08:21 AM »

So i'm going to be in hefei next month and i was wondering how bad do i need shots before going? and which ones specfically? does anyone know how good the doctors are over there or how often someone gets sick?

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
Re: shots to take before going to china?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:55:13 AM »

Vodka, tequila and scotch are good shots to take.  ::)

Sickness is usually caused through bad food preparation and poor hygiene.  Shots can't help for those.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

x0vash0x

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »

As long as you were immunized as a kid, there's really no shots that you absolutely need. I went to a travel doctor before I came and I got a TB Test and Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine. The doctor was most worried about JEV, but  said that as long as I'm not going to Inner Mongolia for an extended period of time or other extreme rural places, it's not a huge health risk. He said the same thing about Malaria. My general impression was that the chances of me getting an communicable disease in China is relatively low, but that I might want to get booster shots and JEV just to be safe.

The closest western travel doctor is in Nanjing, that I know about at least. It'll be much easier to get shots in your home country than in China. In fact, I didn't finish my JEV vaccine because China approved a different vaccine that the USA and the way the JEV works is that I needed to take two shots, but I had to leave the US before I got my second. I tried to find a Place in China to get the second shot, but was told I'd have to start over because of the different JEV used.

Going to the doctor in Hefei is stepping back in time. To be honest, the doctors are a joke and going to the hospital, which you must do to see a doctor, is an ordeal that's often not worth it unless you are seriously ill. The good thing is that many prescription based medicines in the West (I.e. Antibiotics) are OTC. You'll often just self medicate by going to the pharmacy and asking for what you think you need there. Basically, going to the doctor often isn't worth it, unless you have no idea what's wrong with you.

Like Mike said, most people get sick from food poisoning, or fake alcohol. That, and traveler's diarrhea are the far more common illnesses that foreigners get than any communicable illness. Basically, getting an upset stomach from bad food or alcohol a few times a year is the most serious illness that threatens foreigners in a Hefei.

mario

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:07:18 AM »

Alright thanks I'll just be eating lots of apples then. And i'll be sure to try some of those mike  ;)

x0vash0x

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »

Let me rephrase then: I don't trust a doctors in Hefei.

Personally, the quality of doctors is night and day in some cases. And unlike the US where you have a family doctor who knows your medical history, you're probably not going to see the same doctor twice. They give you a little blue book which doctors write your medical history in which helps a new doctor know you medical history, but that's about it.

Personally, I'd go to Nanjing or Shanghai for surgery as opposed to a local Hefei Hospital. Because like I said, I don't trust doctors in this city.

For any major surgery, I'd go to Hong Kong. Just because I trust the system and quality there better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up