Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Food/Product Labeling  (Read 8189 times)

h k

Food/Product Labeling
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »

Hello,

I will be moving to Hefei in a few weeks and was wondering whether products found in Walmart etc. include English language labeling?  If it's only Mandarin, I might be in trouble!

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
Re: Food/Product Labeling
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:15:56 AM »

In general, you can identify the products from the packaging whether it's in Chinese or English.
Many products at Walmart and Carrefour are labeled in English.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

x0vash0x

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »

Unless you're dumber then a bag of bricks, you can usually figure out what the products are by packaging alone and the section in which you found the item, even if its in Chinese. It's the typically Chinese items that you'll probably be most confused about. You'll just stare at it and go 'What the Hell is that?!' .... But, if you're looking for 'regular' food stuffs, you wont have a problem as long as you have average critical thinking skills.

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »

Shampoo is easy to find but conditioner is so much harder.

h k

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »

Mike: thanks!  I'll look up Walmart and Carrefour...I have some dietary restrictions that I have to be careful of. 

x0vash0x

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:49:28 AM »

Depending on your dietary restrictions I would advise to never eating out in China. There is absolutely no way to know what is actually in the food you'll be eating. Even if you tell them "I cannot eat 'X'" there's a fifty fifty chance that they either wont understand or care.

So, again, if you have dietary restrictions that are necessary, it is advisable to not Chinese food and to cook everything you eat yourself.

h k

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »

Yup, that's why I asked about English labeling

Joeyhf

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:43 AM »

to x0vash0x : In my past 8years in Hefei I ate at a lot of local open air street restaurants and also standard restaurant or street BBQs.Never had any health issue because of food.In small outside restaurants you actually can see all ingredients and watch how they prepare your food.You can also meet a nice locals there and drink with them baidu  ;D.In standard restaurant you can't see kitchen where wall may be covered by burned oil and can be very messy.
If you live in China you need to eat chinese food the same if you move everywhere around the world you need to eat local food.
I could not imagine  everyday cooking Western food just for me.Even in the company where I work we eat chinese food.

Only issues with food I had in past was from Walmart and Carrefour where food validity was expired. But that's different story.

h k

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »

大枪:  thank you for checking, that was really nice of you!  I'll keep metro in mind :)  I'll figure it out when I get there I'm sure, I just wanted to be prepared.  Thanks again!

x0vash0x

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »

The issue isn't whether it's clean or not, the issue is dietary restrictions. For example, not being able to eat 'x, y, or z' like shellfish. Granted, at the street restaurants you can see what's going on, but there is tons of cross contamination. Depending on the severity of the dietary restrictions, it's important to be extremely cautious. For example, if you're deathly allergic to shellfish, I wouldn't recommend eating street food considering the high possibility of cross contamination between whatever you're ordering and crayfish.

When you go to professional restaurants such as Westin or Empark the staff will be able to determine what exactly is in an item and help with dietary restrictions. However, at the smaller mom and pop restaurants, I'd be much more cautious. Even if they say 'Oh, we wash all of our kitchen to prevent cross contamination' I'd take that with a huge grain of salt... Basically, I don't trust Chinese in terms of cleanliness or sanitary issues. I do agree that "If you make your dietary requirements crystal clear IN CHINESE, people will care and will not give it to you." But, the issue is cross contamination. You can say 'I cannot eat peanuts' and they wont give you peanuts, but that's not to say they wont cook with peanut oil, or it's not to say they wont use the same utensil for both peanuts and other items.

This doesn't even include the number of times which I've been out with Chinese and ask 'What is this?' to which their reply is 'Uh.... I think duck... Maybe? It could be tofu as well.... Actually, I don't know, but it's good!' Even the Chinese aren't always sure what they're eating, which goes to show you that knowing what is in the food isn't too high of a priority.

"I would say: Be cautious if you need to, but don't blanket avoid eating out in China." Agreed, but it depends on the severity. It's one thing to say 'I'm vegan' and it's another to say 'If I have shellfish, peanuts, and so on, I'll die'. If it's 'I'm vegan' there's no problem. If it's 'I'll die if I have this food' I'd be extremely, extremely, cautious and only eat at Western style places.

Also, the only foods that have English nutrition information and ingredient list are the import sections of supermarkets.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:11:46 AM by x0vash0x »

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 11:45:37 PM »

That is quite "hair lair re asse".  ;D
I think you were drinking that non-English labeled water again.

JaGuift

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - Restoration of the bathrooms
    • View Profile
    • Restoration of baths
    • Email
Food/Product Labeling
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 02:55:31 PM »

Hello world

Hello everyone, sorry about my english if i spell something wrong. I am from México in Latin America and i just want to ask if there is Vegan food in Cameron Highlands?
Pages: [1]   Go Up