Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing your own fruits, veggies or herbs  (Read 7042 times)

rgeczi

Growing your own fruits, veggies or herbs
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

Not sure where to post this, so Mike, if this needs moving, please do.

I've been in Hefei for a while, and slowly warmed up to the idea of growing my own stuff at home via containers.  Maybe it's the age talking, I don't know. lol  Anyways, currently, I am growing strawberries, water spinach, and will soon try out radishes.  This is done mainly with grow lights, but I also will try some on the balcony as well.

Anyone else into growing?  It would be nice to see as many of the expats that come to Hefei usually have 2 things, a surplus of living space and time for hobbies.  So, I think this would be great for people to get into.   ;)

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
Re: Growing your own fruits, veggies or herbs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:57:19 AM »

I'd be interested in buying the veges for the barbecue.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

rgeczi

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »

In terms of seeds, they are easy to grab from Taobao sellers, which is where I get my stuff from.  I also bought strawberry seedlings online from a GZ seller, which I didn't think would make it, but they seem to be coming around with some tender loving care.  ;D

Growing strawberries hydroponically is also something I was looking at doing.  They have some decent rigs on Taobao available for purchase that can get you started, for a decent price.  It's pretty straight forward, grow the plants till they have a decent root system, then transplant them (wash roots first) into the HP system, and voila.  Just make sure the pump keeps going and you change the water about every two weeks, everything else is simple.

There are a ton of vids on YT where people show their rigs for HP systems.  Pretty good stuff they have.

dsw

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 05:09:10 AM »

I've been growing veggies here for about 3 yrs, having been fortunate enough to have a large area outside my house that no one else uses. I shipped all my seeds in from the UK but it's tough matching foreign varieties with local conditions and pests. I've found that seed designed for the American south or sometimes Mediterranean climates work quite well, aside from the occasional susceptibility to disease. Getting soil, plant pots, and local seeds is quite easy, though, particularly if you get out in the villages. They're cheap, too. The biggest problem with importing stuff is that if a Chinese person sees a plant they don't recognize, even knowing it's in someone's garden, they'll just pull it out of the ground to look at it...  >:(

As for herbs... there's a place outside the city that's run by a Chinese guy who lived in Italy for years and brought back tonnes of plants. (http://davidswills.com/?p=2014) He grows a lot of herbs and sells the plants cheaply. I've had mine for 2 yrs and they're still alive.

I'm actually moving away from China soon and if you want any seeds, gardening equipment then just let me know.

rgeczi

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »

DSW, sounds great.  Don't know what you have or what I can use from it, but thanks for the offer.  I mostly grow stuff indoors, so my thing is mostly grow lights.  I just started dabbling with growing stuff outdoors but man, the birds here are hungry as heck. lol  They keep chopping down on my water spinach shoots.

I also started sprouting, which is SO easy, and requires little to no sun (sun needed near the end if you want to green up the buggers).  I am having a pretty easy time with growing butter lettuce (forgot the "real" name of it), so I might expand the growing operation in that department.  I love just snipping off some stuff when I want a little snack or whatever.  Organic, nothing beats it.  But I have to admit, at the moment, I am using plant food (Miracle Gro), so I am not 100% org. yet.  Once I purchase the composter, I will be good to go. ;)

Now only if I can make some money growing the "good stuff".  ;D  joking

dsw

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 01:46:57 PM »

I haven't really done anything indoors for lack of lights and also I have cats, which eat or break anything they find.

For compost, I dug three large bins and work on a rotation system, which has been doing pretty well so far.

My garden has been pretty much organic (not sure about the seed origins) and I really enjoy knowing where at least some of my food is coming from... Not having to boil or fry the hell out of everything to make sure it doesn't make you sick.

What I have right now are seed pots, potting soil, a hoe, a couple of spades, a trowel, and some pots. I'm leaving China on Thursday and will be busy most days between now and then so if you want it, let me know asap.

dsw

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »

Oh, and I've been working on producing beetroot seeds for a few years and my current crop has probably a couple of thousand. They'll grow anywhere. I found one growing inside a brick last year after a three week drought. Tough little plants.  :)

rgeczi

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:33:27 PM »

Yeah, they are good growers indeed.  I just chomped on some radish "microgreens" last night.  Spicy as heck, but I am sure it was healthy so, it all balances out.

I pretty much stick to the square foot gardening method, and according to them, full grown radishes can grow 16 plants a square foot.  For beets, it's 9 to each square foot, which is pretty good.  I might try that in the coming months.

I too like to know where most of my food comes from, because especially with sprouts, which is what I have been consuming, can really be done wrong if you are not careful.

Brandonfuh

• ICQ Messenger - 137247718
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Газовые котлы baxi цены
    • View Profile
    • Email
-
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »

I have a great supply of soil for indoor growing. So , I hope it would be good , if the worst happenend.I grow all my own salad greens inside in the winter. I would just keep going, until , I couldnt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up