Hefei Expat - China

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HFConnect
The Events, News and Sports APP for visitors in Hefei.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Chinese teacher wants to double the rate  (Read 11295 times)

Virginia9742

• Known Member
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
    • Email
My Chinese teacher wants to double the rate
« on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »

I have had a student teaching me for about 5 months.  He is a friend's graduate student.  I have been paying him 50 RMB per hour, and having 1 hour per week.  He is not very good, and now he told me today that he thinks he should be paid 100 per hour because my friend had initially told him it would be 100/hour.  Well that was only because there was initially to be 2 students in the class, but that fell through.

Anyways, I am going to tell him no, give him a small raise and hope he gets better, OR just tell him I don't need a teacher anymore.

I am wondering, though, what the rates are for Hefei for a teacher?  I don't mind overpaying a bit IF they are good, but I feel this teacher of mine if full of it.  I mean, I have like 5 million people to choose from, but I know that many of them have poor English or perhaps would make poor teachers.

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
Re: My Chinese teacher wants to double the rate
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

100 is base rate for foreigners teaching English.  ???
Did he ask for airfare as well?
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

Virginia9742

• Known Member
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:44:16 AM »

Ha, no he hasn't asked for airfare, not yet at least.

Haiying

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:57 AM »

i think, language learning mainly relies on yourself.  u may need some training in how to writing, but not necessary for vocabulary improvement nor the grammar.  most of the work can be and probably only can be done by yourself.  make local friends, or even live with some nice famliy, join activities, watch tv (although not many good tv programs).  also, do some reading in your field.  that's my experience for your reference.  but, if you would be lucky enough, it's not a bad thing to have some part time teacher available for key points instruction.

Andy72

• Long Term Member
  • April 2010 - Oct 2012: a nice time in Hefei..
    • View Profile
    • Dreaming of.. Asia
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:56:00 AM »

sorry, but i do not agree..
especially for chinese, i think one has to study it properly a fixed time every day in order to improve!
and this for at least one year!
after this period.. part time teachers is ok..

i have been lazy and not good enough doing that.. even if most of my friends here are locals (i have never met most of the laowai of the board!) still my vocabulary is almost zero (except slang and bad words), my grammar not existent and my language skills ridicules.. and i am sorry to say i have been here already 2 years..

i agree on the field related language.. i can say laser or mechanical stage and at least understand the topic people speak about in the meetings.. but then i get completely lost (i do work for a 100% chinese company, that decided to not give me any support to learn the language..)
...I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Andy72

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Dreaming of.. Asia
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:06 AM »

i work for a company in semiconductor industry, called Advantools (芯硕半导体) where until october 2011 i was the only foreigner.
then they hired a spanish guy (who has studied chinese in spain for more than 2 years and studied then 1 year at USTC).

i'm electronic engineer, and i am living the kind of experience i signed for!
no complaints!

i know my lack of language lies in my laziness together with other choices about how to spend my time..

on the other hand i am quite proud to say that most of my friends here are locals, even with little english, and thanks to them in a small amount of time i have experienced quite a lot of stuff laowais take longer to experience, if ever..

about my work, all reports, all docs, all meetings are in chinese, except when i speak.. me or not in the meeting does not change: most of my colleagues can only read english. i am a test engineer: so after translating (google is my best working mate) emails and reports i usually work alone!

:P

Andy72

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Dreaming of.. Asia
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 04:33:13 AM »

my schedule is mostly the usual western 5days, 40hours. overtime when needed (no compensation for overtime in my company).

i would love to learn more chinese, and i am actually trying..
even if i had hoped to learn more by immersion, as done in norway.. as i wrote about here:

http://aikidude.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/languages-by-immersion/

but i don't have big hopes.. also not sure how much longer i'll be around..

i admit though i prefer hefei to shanghai because there are much less laowais here!
it is ok to struggle from time to time, at least i am in a real chinese place!!!  ;D

and when i am totally frustrated.. i come here to hefeiexpat..
nah.. kidding.. otherwise, given the number of posts i have it seems i am constantly frustrated!!!  ;)

Andy72

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Dreaming of.. Asia
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »

:) i saw that part  :)

we'll see.. but more possible i'll tell you if i hear about some other punk gig here..  ;D

zdd323

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:06:38 PM »

i am willing to teach u for free
Pages: [1]   Go Up