Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Things considered impolite by foreign people  (Read 62348 times)

Andy72

Re: Things considered impolite by foreign people
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 01:38:06 AM »

btw,

one of the things I really hate and this morning I got reminded is the spitting in the elevator floors.. like my building elevator..

I remember I experienced that my very first time in China, in Wenzhou, when some people where spitting in the hotel elevator floor..

Andy72

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 08:39:02 AM »

one very fresh add (yesterday night experience):

peeing in the sauna, against a wall (thank god not the oven side or the benches.. but still it made my sauna shorter!!!)

(drunk business man with equally drunk friend..)

argh.......  :-X

mjsuke75

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

in beijing, somebody took a dump in my elevator. yeah, and were kind enough to wipe themself and just drop the used toliet paper in a circle around their marking....

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »

This I would hope is offensive across all cultures. How ever, it seems more acceptable here as I got someones log in my stairwell and I seen adults squatting a log in the street and everyone else seems to ignore them.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

terryd

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2011, 03:58:18 AM »

Hey everyone, I have been in China for about half a year and here's the things that I find pretty bad!

>> I know this has already been covered BUT spitting is such a crazy thing here!
>> The fact that everyone stares, On one occasion I was waiting at a bus stop and this lady just walked up to me and in front of me just stood there, looking at me from head - to - toe until my bus arrived!
>> I needed to get a train and everyone just has to get there first!  Now I finally got to my seat and half way in the journey a guy came up to me and pointed at the seat next to me (which was empty) and said "yao bu yao?" which of course in this situation means "is anyone sitting there?"  I wanted to say "YAO!" but I said bu yao, now I wouldn't have minded this except her smelt SO bad and he kept spitting, he also made himself RIGHT at home by putting the seat back and his feet up!  The thing is, he hadn't paid for a seat so that really pisses me off!
>>Some people just can't believe the fact that you are there...  I even looked at my watch and someone had to see what I was looking at!
>> Now this is one of my top HATES.  When you go somewhere and just because your foreign they have $$ in their eyes!  They bump the price up BIG TIME!!  Now I take my Chinese friend with me and tell him what I like and he then goes and bargains for me!!   8)

I know most of these have already been said but ow well  ;D

Andy72

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2011, 06:44:34 AM »

good you write, said or not before!!

welcome to the forum as well ;)))

prepare yourself for more stares in Hefei... here we are still aliens!!!

and the "flying behind your back hellooooooooooooo".. as i call them now.. the ones that you hear, hushed, only after you pass the people..

i used to turn fast and stare at them to scare them or just say hello back.. now unless it's either a very pretty girl or some smiling children i just don't care anymore..

;D

terryd

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »

LOL yeah thats pretty funny, today someone looked like they were stumping up the courage to say something and when I passed them they said "gooda afternoona"  lol love it.

I forgot to say > I was standing, talking to someone on the phone and this woman came right in front of me with her baby and let her wee!!  I was thinking "HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO can you not see me and my shoes!"  hahaha

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2011, 06:36:28 AM »

I now tend to notice the ones that ignore me or just aren't interested.  ;D

terryd

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

What's funny is, I even find myself staring at us "foreigner's!"  It really is strange to see!  I kinda know what they feel now  :D

Andy72

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:51 AM »

I love to take the bus!!!

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 01:41:58 AM »

Speaking of the buses...

I have noticed that students (girls more than boys though) are actively offering seats to the elderly more lately.

It's a good thing to see.  ;D

Andy72

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2011, 11:30:20 PM »

i have seen several boys doing the same and saturday one also helping an old lady to get on the seat...
and often they wanted to give me their seat.. for the LAO part of laowai i guess ;))))

terryd

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »

Yeah, I have noticed this with letting the oldies sit down.  This doesn't happen in Shanghai or Beijing!   I also love getting on buses!  Trains are funny as well!

I've just started to drive and I have a new impolite thing!

TURN YOUR HIGH BEAMS OFF PEOPLE!!  You want me to move forward but if I can't see, I'm not going anywhere dude!  Driving at night is pretty damn stressful!  The daytime is better, just tons of traffic!

Andy72

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2011, 03:59:53 AM »

yeah, i thought about that many times.. but i did not know what was the correct word in english for the strong lights ;)))))

Haiying

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2012, 01:40:57 AM »

very interesting topic, although in sinking.   As Chinese, i understand that locals have some habits not good or uncomfortable to foreigners, in fact, even Chinese from other cities have such feeling.  There are some reasons for bad habits, problem in education, lacking communication with people from other places, poverty, weak commercial competition, etc.  We Chinese also sometimes talk about these, and we hope may do something to improve that.    But, on the other hand, it may be quite few foreigners here in Hefei, so locals feel curious or like to show their friendly attitude to you.  At Lujiazui banking area in Shanghai, I guess not many Chinese eager to say hello or have time to stare at you. 

I accept the differences between people, cuz I know there are some reasons there and understandable.  you asked how Chinese view foreigners' bad manners and what are them.  Please forgive me if the following examples are not true:

- drunk. when i was in uk, i and my classmates encountered drunk locals sometimes. i don't know how about expats here
- some expats like to use rude words, such as fuck this fuck that

anything else?  We found that some expats learn bad habbits quickly in China (why not learn good habits Chinese have?) and behave quite differently from that in their own country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up