Hefei Expat - China

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HFConnect
The Events, News and Sports APP for visitors in Hefei.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Things considered impolite by foreign people  (Read 62353 times)

Andy72

Re: Things considered impolite by foreign people
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 01:19:34 AM »

dude, finally you seem to accept some fun!

of course i know about church meeting, i'm italian!!!
and have a good memory..
but from the way you talk i am surprised you don't know!

and i think you should pay royalties, because your sentences are so..... hollywood family movies!
;-)
but of course we are in china and nobody cares about royalties or piracy!
(and i love it!!)

but i see you are so in peace with the world to finding only the positiveaspects.. that's great!
start a thread what we love about china and hefei.. i got tons of stuff!!

have a laugh today mate!
let me know when u join canadian for dinner.. i can come as well and not fighting for the bill..  ;D

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
Tongue in cheek
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 03:54:40 AM »

This thread will not be killed by us... We encourage freedom of speech and expressing your views.
I consider it valuable that someone takes the effort to register just to post their opinion.

Please consider that we are here because we want to be. There is so much we love about this place...

I'm sure there are many things foreigners do which seem impolite but no-one has mentioned these yet  ;D

I'm often asked "How would I describe China in one word?"  The answer is "Extreme"
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

Andy72

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 03:58:35 AM »

agree..
but please keep posting according to the thread topic.. let's leave the opinions to other threads...

i wanted to share lists of stuff!!!

let's start new threads for new discussion topics  ;D

YetAnotherCanadian

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

I;m not fighting for that bill either, lads, so that just leaves you Aussie Mike!  :D

lol, I bought a bottle of bai jiu today.  The guy selling it said (in Chinese) 'since when do you lao wais drink bai jiu?'  I guess he doesn't get too many foreigners buying it. :)

What do you guys normally do for CNY there? (Andy, you'll love it!  It is a really ... intense holiday.  In fact, I don't think you could work even if you tried!)

Andy72

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 11:47:28 PM »

my first time in china was during chines enew year, visiting a long time pen friend in wenzhou!
february 2007  ;D

this time, i'll visit.. Anqing.. at a friend place!

Andy72

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 12:23:15 AM »

yo man,

but as i mentioned before.. all true what you say (that's why we are all still here), but don't be shy.. come on dude..

let us know your dirty thoughts.. what you really hate ;-)))))

;)

YetAnotherCanadian

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:24 AM »

Yeah well I'm a laowai too and like many others here that I have met, I have done many a thing that would be considered impolite by everyone. It is so easy to be critical of many things that are considered impolite but one thing stands, we can't change the world. Most of us can't even change our own bad habits, let alone be instrumental in dictating change to others.

At the end of the day, we are here by choice so if we don't like it we should move on. By and large it is a fairly tolerant society in many respects, so we are lucky that gang warfare is not too much of an element that targets minority groups like us. Just cast a thought back to western societies and how they discriminated against immigrants. At least we rarely see that kind of response.

Live and let live!

Hi Kaibo,

Good points, but I don't think foreigners here should just muffle their grievances simply because 'it isn't our country'.  My wife is Chinese and I am here long term, so in many ways this is my country.  I'd bet you'd receive some serious feedback if you told Chinese people in western countries 'stop complaining or leave' when they raise their voices about things that they feel make them uncomfortable.  We are at a very early stage of the internationalization of this country.  Voicing grievances will only help this country develop for the better, right?  I hope you're not the kind of guy who lets your 'live and let live' philosophy allow you to turn a blind eye when you see foreigners acting rudely towards locals in the street.

Sure, there are lots of things to love about China, and your point about China being a safe and (for the most part) accepting country is bang on.  But I have these sorts of 'I love China' conversations with people all day, every day.  Why not share a few things that irk us?  ;)

Back to the thread...
OK, everybody, my wife's told me we say 'yeah' too much when we speak. :)

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 09:32:37 AM »

The thing which is never considered...

I'm not here to change China or it's culture, I'm here to help those who want to interact with foreigners.

How are the Chinese to know about these not so trivial issues, if no one talks about them.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

Hills

• Standing Member
  • HFConnect APP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »

I tried to get some feedbacks from my students on"what chinese consider impolite about foreigners"and one good point came up...We live in China but don't speak their language..rather expect them to understand every single phrase we say...from the hotel waiter to the grandma at the supermarket..and if they can't help us due to language barriers we bash out in an unpleasant and pissed off manner

ryan_madden

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 09:12:16 AM »

That is a good point: we are living in another country/culture, with a different language, yet some of us don't make in-roads to learn the language of the locals, and thus can be frowned upon for potentially "shunning" their livelihood/background in favour of English as a Second Language.

In my defence, I'm very new to Hefei myself (Nov 4th 2010-present), and am still adjusting to life in another country/culture.

YetAnotherCanadian

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »

Yeah, but guys c'mon: it's 2011.  Chinese will never be the language of the world.  I can understand if grandma can't say a phrase or two, but if you're 20 and working at McDonald's you should learn some basic English.  I realize that this is more an educational problem than anything.  Chinese people typically study English in school for more than 10 years and still can say anything (thumbs up to the Chinese education system!!  :-\ )  Anyway, I don't blame the people I blame the government for not enforcing a working English program (more similar to Korea would be great: lessons on TV, publicly funded speaking classes/English Corners).  The Chinese chose to destroy their old culture during the Cultural Revolution - now they want to preserve it? ??? What kind of logic is that?

Before you start bashing me: I've committed the time to learn Chinese.  My wife does not speak English (we only speak Chinese at home).  Although she studied English for ten years in An Hui public school, she couldn't say a word when I first met her.  I agree that learning the customs, language and culture of the place you live in is a must.  But learning the customs, language and culture of the world as a whole is equally important if we are going to come together as a global family.  I've shown a world map to local people before and they're always surprised by how large the United States is!  'It's almost as big as China!'  they say.  A basic understanding of the world doesn't mean giving up your cultural identity (or your language, for that matter), it means understanding the culture we are all creating together as a global community.

Andy72

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »

Chinese will be the swearing language of the future!!!

watch Firefly people, best {canceled} TV series EVER!!!!!
 ;D

anyway, i agree about the language problem...
also in norway i learned norwegian to understand more of the culture.. chinese is still a huge challenge..

my chinese friends said they started thinking what they don't like about us but came up with nothing yet  :(

ryan_madden

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 04:22:19 AM »

Anyway, I don't blame the people I blame the government for not enforcing a working English program (more similar to Korea would be great: lessons on TV, publicly funded speaking classes/English Corners).

I thought CCTV-9 was freely available to anyone with a TV in China? My mistake. :P

In saying that, just being taught English in school doesn't mean the person will think "I have no need for this later on in life". Worked exceptionally well for me and sciences in Years 11 and 12.  ;D

ryan_madden

China sets classes in good manners for schoolchildren
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2011, 12:05:28 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12269505

Maybe they read our topic?  :P

In all seriousness though, will children even remember these later in life?

Andy72

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2011, 01:29:43 AM »

Ryan, thx for the cool link!!!

time to post the original (our) and the copy (bbc) on my blog as well!!!
 ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up