Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Professionals in Hefei
Business Network Group
Entrepeneurs and all professionals.
professionals.inhefei.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: International Schools  (Read 62167 times)

espard

• View Profile
Re: International Schools
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »

Sorry I was out for couple weeks.. I got caught with some travel...  I really appreciate your inputs and any additional information is it became avaialble..  Thanks  Daniel

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 06:48:21 AM »

There are no reputable international schools in Hefei. Simply put, the expat community is too small to justify international schools. Hefei currently does have international programs in No. 1 and No. 8 high schools, but their quality is currently lacking compared to similar programs in first tier cities.

As Asussie Mike said, there are some 'International Schools' but as I said above, they are far from reputable. To clarify what I mean by reputable, they are not certified by any western organization nor do they belong to any international school accreditation program (i.e. IB Schools).

Some public schools in Hefei do have English language instruction, but again, these schools are not accredited by an western organization. You can send your child to a Chinese public school which will teach in English, but I would be highly skeptical of the quality of education. For example, there's no guarantee that the individual teaching your child has any qualifications or experience, it could just be some bloke looking for a year of fun in the sun.

I don't mean to put you off, only say that there doesn't exist in Hefei any school which meets any kind of western education quality. You can send your child to school, that is not an issue. The issue is that you may find yourself disappointed in the quality.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:05:01 AM by x0vash0x »

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

In all fairness, the teachers I know who teach at some of these schools are qualified and experienced teachers in their subject areas.
My Focus is Australia China Import Export People and Products

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »

In all fairness, the teachers I know who teach at some of these schools are qualified and experienced teachers in their subject areas.

I know the teachers at No. 1 and No. 8 are qualified in their subject areas. The only other teachers I know are English Language School Teachers. I personally don't know of any foreign teachers at any Chinese elementary schools or middle schools in Hefei. Most of the qualified teachers I know are at high schools or the local colleges.

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »

There are not many who are qualified teachers in the general arena, I agree,
which is an issue for me as I have to compete with them, however my comment
was aimed at the schools offering the International programs as mentioned. 

Some are Master and Phd qualified.  I have to stick up for we who are qualified and experienced...  ;D

computer_says_no

• Standing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 07:24:37 AM »

Hefei No. 1 High School. This is an accredited Canadian Offshore School (BC Program). Grades 10 and 11 are taught on campus in English according to the curriculum of British Columbia, and the teachers have credentials recognized by the BC Ministry of Education. In 2012-2013, there were about 100 students enrolled in the program. The total number of students in No. 1 High School is 7000. The school itself is located in Bin Hu, about 1 hour commute from the city center, which is why many students are boarders. http://www.hfyz.net/ 滨湖新区西藏路2356号 2356 Tibet Road, Lake District Ph:(0551)62911018 (Office) (0551)62911025 (Registry)

Hefei No. 8 Senior High School. This school has a Sino-US cooperative relationship with the Maine School of Science and Mathematics (MSSM), a residential "magent" high school in the U.S.  Students take mandatory courses in Math and English, with a range of other electives, according to the MSSM curriculum. Apparently, there are also ten advanced placement courses that integrate with first year study in US universities. Upon graduating, students effectively have a US high school diploma. All courses are taught by teachers registered in Western countries. In 2013 enrollment plan was for 90 students. Cost: about 80,000RMB/year (excl. books, accommodation and other costs). This is a direct link to the Internation Department of No. 8 Senior School http://www.hfbz.com/hfbznew/public/gjb.xp Hefei VIII Intl. Department (0551)63688811, academic affairs department (0551)63688983 合肥八中(新校区)国际部【行政楼3楼东办公室】Hefei VIII (New Campus) International Department Admin. Building, 3rd floor.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:31:58 AM by 大枪 »

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »

Hefei No. 1 High School. This is an accredited Canadian Offshore School (BC Program). Grades 10 and 11 are taught on campus in English according to the curriculum of British Columbia, and the teachers have credentials recognized by the BC Ministry of Education. In 2012-2013, there were about 100 students enrolled in the program. The total number of students in No. 1 High School is 7000. The school itself is located in Bin Hu, about 1 hour commute from the city center, which is why many students are boarders. http://www.hfyz.net/ 滨湖新区西藏路2356号 2356 Tibet Road, Lake District Ph:(0551)62911018 (Office) (0551)62911025 (Registry)

Hefei No. 8 Senior High School. This school has a Sino-US cooperative relationship with the Maine School of Science and Mathematics (MSSM), a residential "magent" high school in the U.S.  Students take mandatory courses in Math and English, with a range of other electives, according to the MSSM curriculum. Apparently, there are also ten advanced placement courses that integrate with first year study in US universities. Upon graduating, students effectively have a US high school diploma. All courses are taught by teachers registered in Western countries. In 2013 enrollment plan was for 90 students. Cost: about 80,000RMB/year (excl. books, accommodation and other costs). This is a direct link to the Internation Department of No. 8 Senior School http://www.hfbz.com/hfbznew/public/gjb.xp Hefei VIII Intl. Department (0551)63688811, academic affairs department (0551)63688983 合肥八中(新校区)国际部【行政楼3楼东办公室】Hefei VIII (New Campus) International Department Admin. Building, 3rd floor.

I can tell you for a fact that both programs are no where near western educational quality. The issue isn't that the teachers aren't qualified, they are. The issue is that both programs are poorly executed. Many of the teachers have masters and/or certified in their subject areas. Again, I know for a fact that the foreign teachers are well qualified, that's not the issue. The issue is that both programs are highly mismanaged.

Students cannot and do not fail and transcripts from these schools are routinely forged. These schools currently have little to no academic rigor. Not to mention letters of recommendation are previewed by Chinese before they are sent to colleges the students are applying for.

Sure, the foreign staff is well educated and competent, but that means little when the schools don't hold themselves to any kind of academic standards.

I know that No. 1 and No. 8 are trying to clean up their act, but it's an uphill battle.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:31:31 PM by x0vash0x »

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 04:32:46 AM »

My information is that a Canadian school was approved and instigated a decade ago but did not come to fruition. The government infrustructer/administration/funding was virtually completed but it didn't get off the ground.

Since then, the said pre-arrangements are there waiting for a new venture. A couple of years ago, it was said that a new Canadian venture has accepted the challenge and that an international school will be opening sometime this decade. Rumour has it that it may be opening around the same time as the subway opening. 2014-2017.

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 07:44:24 AM »

New International School opened this Semester 2014

It's a Canadian School in 2 parts, 1 part for Chinese preparing to go abroad and the 2nd part is for foreign students using International curriculum.

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 04:46:44 AM »

New International School opened this Semester 2014

It's a Canadian School in 2 parts, 1 part for Chinese preparing to go abroad and the 2nd part is for foreign students using International curriculum.

Where? As in, hosted in what school?

There's another American program at Hefei No. 1. For some reason, it's integrated into the Canadian program there. I'm not sure of the details, just that they have one class.

DocJason

• View Profile
    • IRED
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »

This is an interesting topic for me because I work at a company that has a Primary School, Middle School, High School, and a University. The Primary School, Middle School, and High School are in Hefei.

The Primary school is working on starting a program that will help prepare the students for more of an international standard and the high school is going to start sending students to American colleges and universities.

computer_says_no

• Standing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »

The only genuine international school in Hefei is the new Canadian International School (cish.com.cn).

DocJason

• View Profile
    • IRED
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 10:10:07 AM »

For now. :D

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

I really wonder if there will ever been any more. The foreign population is small (According to the local newspaper, there are roughly 700 foreigners in Hefei) and the foreign population with children is even smaller. I honestly would be surprised if there were more than 50 families with school aged children.

I could imagine international high schools taking off over the next few years as Hefei's population and incomes grow, but true international schools, I doubt it. I just don't see the foreign population ever being large enough in Hefei to support multiple international schools.

It's more likely Dipont and other IB/A-Level high school agencies will make their way into Hefei.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:27:56 PM by x0vash0x »

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »

On the contrary, there was 8000 foreigners in Hefei as of 2012, 4000 have residency visas but only about 200-400 have foreign expart certificates.

Hefei was prevented from gaining foreign families because there was no true International school.  Now that there is one here, more families will choose to come here instead of going to Nanjing, etc.

I've heard of at least 2 other International schools are being planned. A British one, possibly an American one and an Australian one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up