Hefei Expat - China

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

HFConnect
The Events, News and Sports APP for visitors in Hefei.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post here first, I can move it to the appropriate section.  (Read 23046 times)

OldSport

• View Profile
Re: Post here first, I can move it to the appropriate section.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »

So a maximum of 20 hours? That's even better than I thought. If anyone can recommend an institute to approach? Thank you

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »

Google. Here are a few of the top links:

jobs.echinacities.com
http://www.englishfirst.com/ESL-Jobs/teaching-english-in-hefei/
www.chinaesljob.com

Take your pick. By the amount of thought and effort you're putting into this, you clearly are a prime candidate for ESL teaching in China and will fit right in.

OldSport

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »

Wanted a recommendation because I am worried about scammers, thanks. How about my question about 1000 rmb per month?

x0vash0x

• Long Term Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »

You just use common sense when it comes to scammers. You'll probably get stringed along by a few recruiters, and the turnover rate is extremely high. Recruiters for ESL Training Schools are all pretty crappy, and don't really care about you beyond just filling vacancies. So, there's really no 'reputable' ESL Recruiter. Just apply for the jobs, use common sense, and hope for the best.

You can make it work. Most Chinese live on 2,000 - 4,000 a month, and that includes them paying for housing and cars and other stuff you won't have to work about. So, take housing out of that, and you'll live like a typical Chinese. So yeah, its doable. You'll just eating lots of rice and noodles and drinking cheap beer. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

OldSport

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 02:51:59 AM »

OK thanks

ryali

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »

Hi! I just arrived in Hefei yesterday and am already feeling a bit lonely. I would love to meet some other foreigners. Is there a wechat group to add or any place someone could recommend?

Thanks!

Aussie Mike

• +86 138 667 39353
  • Administrator
  • Long Term Member
  • Love Life, Live Life, Be Happy!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »

Use my phone number to find me.
Ventures and Partners

Haywood

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

Hi all, we are a 50-something U.S. couple (kids all grown and gone) moving this summer to Hefei for hubby to be a math teacher at the new American School of Hefei. Has anyone heard anything about this development? Apparently they're leasing space for this first year from an existing, really nice high school, and will be building the new $120 mil. facility on 26 acres somewhere in the city. Waiting list of 400 students for 2018-19 school year.

I've browsed through many posts, learning about VPN, places to go, medical and banking issues, etc.- thanks to everyone for all the info over the years! We're very excited for this new adventure- have traveled a lot and been living in The Bahamas for the past 3 years... I know, huge leap now to Hefei!

The school will be providing our housing in a complex with the other (this year, only 7) teachers, but we don't know where yet. They're also getting our visas, although I won't have a job yet (possilble opportunity with the new school, but not right away.) Does anyone know how I will stay there after the first 30 days (is that right?) of a Z visa, while hubby gets his work permit? Other than that, the perks/benefits of the job seem really good- health insurance, transportation, cell phone...

Also, no one seems to really like talking about air quality... Can we purchase a good air purifier when we get there? What about the masks? Necessary or no?

How about heat in buildings? Likely or not? How do you all manage?

As for VPN, I know nothing about how it works. I see the router on Hefei Connect. Do we need to do something before we leave, or can we tackle this within China? (Probably a dumb question.)

Thanks in advance!

computer_says_no

• Standing Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:25 AM »

• Being a legitimate international school, I'm confident they'll handle your visa process with integrity. But just keep an eye on things as well. If you get messed around, John Wang (DeHeng Law Firm) is a local English-speaking lawyer you can contact. One thing to follow up on: Because you aren't authorized for an employment permit before coming over, you can't usually transfer onto a work permit once you get here. i.e., This process involves leaving mainland China (usually to Hong Kong) and reentering. So if you find an employer/sponsor, you will be required to leave the mainland to get a permit authorizing you to work. Unless the rules have changed, this has always been the case.
  • Get a personal VPN before you come--ExpressVPN, PIA etc. It's a total necessity.
  • Check into health insurance being provided. It's rarely comprehensive, and then you've gotta deal through your school and Chinese insurance company to claim. Better if you can get independent expatriate insurance on top that will cover you in local hospitals. Almost everything is done in-hospital, so outpatient not really necessary.
  • Air quality is very often appalling. Masks won't help. Air filters are available.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 07:38:09 AM by computer_says_no »

Haywood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »

Sorry, just saw this now- thanks so much for the info!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up